Monday, September 17, 2012

Riverfest With Poppy!

This Friday and Saturday was Riverfest. I went with the kids Friday and let Austin pick out some treats for Poppy. They were Pumpkin Droolies by Caramel Paws. If you have a dog, I strongly suggest you call about ordering some of these. They're really good. Poppy loves the Pumpkin Droolies and I plan to get him some Christmas Gingerbread too.

On Saturday, I took Poppy with me instead of the kids. I'm sure Poppy consumed a rat's weight in popcorn and maybe a couple of french fries, but the socialization was good for both of us (me for trusting him and him for trusting crowds). It was a total Templeton moment right out of Charlotte's Web! I plan to take Poppy to Madison's festival on September 28th and 29th, which is a little less crowded. Bur Mill Park will also have a big wide fall festival right before Halloween. I can't wait to take Poppy on a hay ride lol. Our entire family are big fans of Bur Mill because it's just so beautiful and open. It's a dog-friendly park. Note to self: Mention Bur Mill to Caramel Paws by phone or walk-in.

Poppy was excellent with the crowd and the slightly humid temperature. He absolutely loves people and big dogs. Two seperate people pet him and he didn't even jump on them. Yaaay! I'm also happy to announce that Poppy did not bark once at any dogs and that he passed by people with food by only eyeballing their meals. As the weather cools off, Poppy can really appreciate these festivals. I imagine he'd be happier in slightly cooler weather. He only peed once, in some grass in a lot away from everything. I only carried Poppy a few times because I wanted to walk up to a stand. The crowds were worse on Saturday than Friday, which I thought would've been opposite. Madison's festival isn't as packed and Bur Mill will be tons of fun.

Poppy's outing bag:
Poppy's poo bag (A hand purse we carry for walks)
               - 3 Walmart bags
               - 6 paper towels
Bottle of home-filtered water
Water bowl
A Poppy sweater just incase it gets cold out
(For day trips)
Food bowl
Pre-measured food in a sandwich bag
A Poppy toy even thogh he rarely plays with it

Socialization is something I had a slow start to with my kid. I thought my child would naturally develop age-appropriate social skills, but when your kid hangs around nothing but adults he expects to always come first and to be viewed as the baby...etc. I don't want my doggy son to be rude or scared of people outside of his tiny social circle. I want him to enjoy attention, be interested in different smells/animals, and trust that we'll keep him safe from anything dangerous. I love my boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment