Thursday, August 23, 2012

Poppys First Vet Visit

Wednesday was Poppy's first vet visit. I expected it to wind up costing about $60 for a check-up and then however much for the sutures to be removed. We checked in and waited for the nurse to come out and carry Poppy to a back room to have his sutures taken out. I think I have more anxiety leaving my dog than he does. In the office, I realized just how cold those tables really are, super cold!

Poppy's sutures were removed quickly and they even clipped his front nails for me. The vet said the sutures were a little tight and I told her they had swelled just a little bit a few days ago, but it didn't seem bad enough to bring him in a few days early. She weighed him at 7 pounds 6 ounces and aid this is his ideal weight and it'd be ok for him to gain a little more body fat. With Chihuahuas, you should be able to feel the ribs over the coat and see the waist. The vet said his lungs and hart sounded clear and healthy. We asked her about the dandruff and shedding, which was ok. Even Chihuahuas shed hair and the dandruff will fix itself with Dawn soap baths and good food. She said his "Reverse Sneeze" is normal. I was used to my pickapug having reverse sneezes and know what to do, so I'm not as scared anymore now that I'm certain this is what he's doing. The vet also told me about a monthly heartworm medicine that has a flea med in it, so it's one pill.

After the vet visit, we paid $35. I was expecting it to be about double. The heartworm meds with the flea meds in it cost $2 a pill, which he'll take once a month. We can buy up to a year at a time and then he'll need more shots before we can buy more. Poppy did very well at the vet and I feel much more at ease with his health.


Reverse Sneeze Soothing:
I did this with my pickapug. You gently hold the head to keep it still and rub hard from under the mouth all the way down the throat whill calmly saying whatever you want. You'll probably hear/feel the dog take a big gulp. Sometimes the dog will start reverse sneezing again, in which you just repeat the process. I don't know if it actually helps the dog in any way, but the soothing talk and the fact that you feel like you're helping doesn't hurt any.

No comments:

Post a Comment